IfCM Jazz and Creative Music Youth Camp: Virtual edition
At camp, you will experience a fun group dynamic where you can feel free to express yourself through improvisation and composition. The instructors teach you how to learn songs, assimilate styles, and improvise so that you have tools to improve your musicianship after the camp is done. Learning about the history of jazz and creative music gives you a greater context to appreciate this American-born global art form.
The virtual camp will include a combination of prerecorded IfCM instructional videos, live-streamed private YouTube sessions, and small group Zoom meetings for individualized feedback. Students will be arranged in small groups based on instrumentation and experience level.
Students will need access to a device that has internet. We are happy to help students navigate the technology needed for this camp. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any technology questions.
You will learn:
- to play a variety of songs by ear, improvise, and compose your own songs as a group
- to improve your sense of time and meter
- to improve your listening skills by singing all parts of the songs (bass line, melody, harmony, improvisation) and connecting the singing to your instruments
- how to transcribe classic jazz melodies and solos by ear
- basic audio recording techniques and how to listen to recordings to improve playing
- strategies for practicing performance, learning songs, style, improvisation, transcription, and composition
The 2020 camp has expanded its faculty to include internationally acclaimed professional jazz musician/educators in addition to camp director/drummer Chris Teal. Read more about them below.
Listening, Composition, Theory (Based on Experience Level)
Small group sessions
Special Topic Faculty Masterclass
Song Review with Small Group
Done for the day
YT = Full camp live streaming sessions immediately archived on YouTube
Z = Small group sessions using Zoom
T = Individual learning, play along, and practice using new “Creative Jazz Fundamentals” courses on Teachable